Abstracts and Sensitive Issues
The main factors considered by the Program Committee in qualifying abstracts for acceptance are the quality of the research, the content of the abstract and the presentation of the abstract. Approximately 40% of the abstracts and 75% of Late-breaker abstracts submitted are not accepted. Refer to the reasons for rejection listed below which are used by the ICAAC Program Committee. In addition, you must obtain the approval of all co-authors before placing their names on the abstract. Failure to do so will result in immediate rejection of the abstract as soon as the ICAAC Program Committee is aware of the violation. Because of the time constraints associated with a meeting of this size, there is no appeal process and no opportunity to resubmit when an abstract is rejected. Therefore, be certain that your abstract submission meets the criteria and guidelines given in the Call for Abstracts.
Reasons for Rejection
- Data inadequate or insufficient raw data to support conclusions
- Hard to understand or not well written
- Low priority or unclear significance
- Methods or controls inadequate or missing
- "n" too small or missing
- Not (enough) new information
- Overlaps with (or is a duplicate of) another abstract
- Previously published
- Promotional in nature
- Statistical evaluation inadequate or missing
Abstract disposition notices will be made available through email notification to presenting authors only on Monday, May 20, 2013 (by 5 p.m. EST). The online notification of acceptance status includes a printable copy of a formal acceptance letter. It is the responsibility of the presenting author to inform all co-authors of disposition status and accepted abstract scheduling information.
In recent years, approximately 80% of the accepted abstracts have been assigned to poster sessions, with the other 20% designated to slide sessions. The Program Committee determines the appropriate method for presentation based on the subject matter. Requests for a particular day or time of presentation, or proximity to another abstract presentation, and presentation formats are not accepted by the ICAAC Program Committee. More than 2,000 abstracts will be presented during ICAAC 2013 and the programming of these presentations is a formidable task even without special considerations.
Poster sessions are scheduled for a full day of display. The presenter must prepare a poster that will fit within the dimensions of the poster board, which is 4 feet tall by 8 feet wide. The poster presenter must also be prepared to be at his or her board for an assigned 2 hour time commitment. Posters must remain up for the entire day on which the poster is to be presented. Posters must be removed at the time the Exhibit Hall closes, as poster presenters will not be allowed entry into the Exhibit Hall after it closes.
Oral papers are scheduled with ten minutes of slide (PowerPoint) presentation followed by five minutes of discussion. A computer will be available in each session room for use in presenting PowerPoint presentations. This will eliminate the need to bring a laptop computer. It is requested that all presenters use PowerPoint to prepare their presentations. All session rooms will be networked onto a server, which will project all PowerPoint presentations onto the screen located in the room. One month prior to the meeting, an FTP server will be available to upload presentations prior to your arrival in Denver, CO. Further detailed information will become available in August.
Compilations of Abstracts
Exhibiting companies may compile and distribute abstracts of any ICAAC 2013 abstract presentations only with prior approval of the Program Committee and ASM. Compilations must accurately reflect the abstracts and not contain promotional information. Distribution will be allowed from a designated area in the Exhibit Hall. Unapproved abstract compilations left in the poster area will be discarded by ASM staff.
Abstract submitters should be aware of this policy so they do not give permission to any company seeking to publish and distribute such a compilation without permission of the Program Committee. Individual abstract presenters are encouraged to prepare handouts of their individual posters for distribution at their poster.